Westmeath Sports Partnership encourages children at of all ages to get more active and enjoy physical activities in schools.
We promote several different courses and initiatives to support schools, pupils, and teachers in developing physical activity skills and exercises in a fun environment.
The events that we are able to provide can vary from year to year, and depends on funding and the interest shown in hosting courses and programmes.
Some of the most recent activities at primary level include:
- Daily Mile
- The Daily Mile is simple and free and gets children out of the classroom for fifteen minutes every day to run or jog, at their own pace, with their classmates, making them fitter, healthier, and more able to concentrate in the classroom.
- Teacher Training days
- Playground Stencils
- Westmeath Sports Partnership also have playground stencils available if this is something a school would like. We loan the stencils out to groups/schools to use and its up to each group to lay the stencils. If you would like more information on the playground stencils please let us know.
- Active Schools’ Week
- The Active School Flag promotes the physical activity of school-going children between the ages of five to 18 years. In operation since 2009, Active School Flag now reaches 670+ schools across Ireland.
Some of the most recent schools’ activities at second level include:
- Get Going Get Rowing
- “Get Going .. Get Rowing” is an initiative by Rowing Ireland to develop and encourage young people in schools and beyond to try indoor rowing. An interactive programme has been developed by Rowing Ireland specifically for teachers and their students to encourage kids to try indoor rowing and benefit from the obvious health and well-being that comes with rowing.
- Skipping- See above
- Water Sports
- Teacher training days – See above
For details of future courses or more information, please contact: